Me and My Daughter

 

                                                        Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels



I know I am the reason 

Of all your glitches and failures,

Yeah! Successes you treasure

Fate did the treason

With all my hopes

Now I bleed through

All my nerves and holes

Tied to the bed with bloody ropes

Rotting with cancer for years

But it’s okay, you don't shed tears

‘Cause it’s I who flawed everywhere

 But tell me, did I fail to always be there

And take you somewhere?


Oh! I did the crime of you having

Terms always on your dictate

Didn't shut your mouth to laugh, sing or debate

Or pull your legs from taking any test

Friends envied you so much

To always be the best

You took pride in shadowing the rest

Hovered like an eagle to snatch

Success from everyone’s nest

Expected too much from yourself

And demanded too excessively from life

Never happy and wanted to change

The ways of the world that ran rife


Only a perfectionist can match

How you strive

Now here the catch lies

I heard it from you only, not other guys

When challenges shook you with strife

You couldn’t drop that perfection and pride

Just to take things easy and move on in life

Unacceptable failures tortured you

Scared, tormented and vexed

You succumbed to depression and sorrow 

Woke up to hate each day, today or tomorrow

No, no! Don’t be too polite to decline

My claim that all your failures are mine


The burden of guilt is too heavy

For me to resign

I still try to mend things right

Only to earn your despite

I dare not preach you baby

But life serves no respite

I wish I disappear from the scene soon

‘Cause now I have no strength

To feed you with spoon

You know what! Parenting is a job so thankless

“Your Karma! For God’s sake, take the liability!”

Yes I take! But too much parenting is

Disastrous nonetheless


I know I can’t quite quit here

Until you grow up safe and thrive

You know! I am scared even when you drive

Not questioning your gender or capability 

But can’t help it, you are the only one I have

To be either my asset or my liability

My decisions may be good or bad, that’s relative

But intentions are always right

Parents are borne with the child and they grow together 

Every day we teach you something bright 

And you enlighten us and make us brighter 

We are not psychologists, but love to listen and know you fair

Unless of course you want to hide it, and not share


Finally, as you say I am the reason

For you to proudly be here

Though I am glad to so hear

Yet let me tell you with no egos offended

Or malice to bear

That the parents who “choose” to take up their duties

With love and good intentions expected

Do command, though can't force, to be respected

‘Cause to some extent they can make or mar

A child’s growth, career and character 

Parents otherwise too do choose

To ignore the children’s well-being and just booze

So, let’s be proud of and find in ourselves our refuge









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Love You Eternally, My Love!

Why Am I Indebted to Medium and My Daughter?

Resolve